All communities are welcome until they bring hatred to other communities or users. If your users are being consistently disruptive and bothersome to other communities, your channel may face removal. While we do understand that no one user represents an entire community, we strive to bring the best experience possible to all users on Snoonet.
Nicknames / NickServ
- Any unregistered and otherwise available nicknames may be freely registered so long as they do not violate network policy.
- There is a maximum of 5 grouped nicknames per account. Please use NickServ’s GROUP command to add a nickname to your account as opposed to registering a new account. For more information or to request assistance, please join #help.
- Nickname squatting is not permitted. We ask that all registered or grouped names be put to use.
- Nicknames must not contain any racial slurs, bigotry, or other words and/or phrases which violate our Terms of Service. We reserve the right to suspend, forbid and/or otherwise prohibit access to these names.
- Temporary/disposable email addresses are prohibited. Snoonet reserves the right to delete your registration if you register with a false/throwaway email address.
- Nicknames expire after 9999 days of no usage. Upon request in the #help channel, accounts holding only one name and having at least 1 year of inactivity may be dropped. Nicknames grouped to any account may be ungrouped or dropped after at least 6 months of inactivity. Requests for nicknames to be made available will be subject to the discretion of staff. Requests for nicknames that violate Snoonet policies will be refused.
- Your IP address is masked by default when you connect to Snoonet. This mask does not reveal your real IP address. When you register an account on our network and confirm your account registration, you are eligible to receive a default user cloak. If you do not wish to keep your default cloak after confirming your nickname, please reach out in #help to have it removed.
- Channel specific cloaks may be available. Requests for channel cloaks will be subject to staff discretion. For a user to qualify for a channel cloak, they must be on the access list of the channel in question. Please reach out in #help for more information.
- We do not currently offer custom vanity hosts except in special circumstances, such as network events. Users that already hold a custom vanity cloak may request their cloak be changed at any time.
- Bots may freely be run on our network, providing that the bot conforms to our Terms of Service and other network rules as outlined both above and below. Bots should have their own, separate registered account and are required to have an identifiable cloak, which includes the name of the bot as well as its operator. Bots may also set the +B user mode to identify themselves as a bot on the network in /WHOIS. If you require any assistance with getting your bot up and running on Snoonet, please join #help and someone will be happy to assist you.
- Repeated and/or intentional ban evasion may earn you a timed network ban. To request a ban appeal, follow the policy of appeals (where one exists) or message the banning OP. Bans from Snoonet network channels or the Snoonet IRC network in its entirety must be addressed via support ticket.
- Please respect your fellow users. Do not intentionally harass other users. This includes “trolling”. Action may be taken on a channel-to-channel basis, where such rules exist. If harassment is persistent, across multiple channels or targets a specific user for a length of time, the offending user may be banned.
- Get along with others! We understand that there are multiple types of humor, but do not excessively attack any other user on this network. Please note that sarcasm doesn’t translate well over IRC.
- Posting the personal information of others is grounds for a permanent network ban. Attempting to collect personal info of users is dealt with in the same manner.
- No solicitation. This includes, but is not limited to, public spam, private message spam, repeated solicitation of services, solicitation of other network channels, and vote brigading on social media (eg. encouraging others to upvote/downvote a thread on reddit).
- Solicitation of services for financial gain is only permitted by asking the channel operators.
- No user is to request money from others. While we understand many are in times of need, please register a gofundme account and state why you are asking for money. Please ask permission from the channel operators. Begging, and contacting multiple users requesting money is a network offense and will be dealt with warnings and removal from the network.
- Listen to network staff. They can be identified by the “snoonet/rank/nickname”
/whois NICKNAMEto confirm that they are a Snoonet staff member. You can view the staff directory here
- Do not ignore network operators or channel operators. If you have an issue with the conduct of a network operator, kindly open an “Abuse” support ticket and your complaint will be noted and addressed. Issues with the conduct of an operator in a specific channel should be addressed with that channel directly.
- User impersonation is prohibited. If you’re found to be intentionally impersonating Snoonet users, you may face removal from the network for a length of time to be decided at the time of incident.
For Your Information
- Please don’t spam/flood the network. If you need to paste a large chunk of text, consider https://pastebin.com/. Automated tools are in use that have the capability of accidentally banning innocent flooders.
- If a channel is getting spammed and no operators are around, or if you just need help with something network-related, join #help.
Registering a Channel
- Unregistered and otherwise available channels may be freely created or registered on Snoonet so long as they do not violate network policy.
- Abandoned channels may be claimed or dropped, subject to staff discretion. This service is offered as a privilege and not a right.
- We reserve the right to suspend or close any channels that encourage illegal activity or otherwise expose the network to liability.
- Unicode characters in channel names are not permitted.
- Accounts may register or otherwise be the founder of a maximum of 10 channels.
- Do not mass register channels that you have no intention of using, or solely to reserve a specific name. Such channels may be suspended or dropped at staff discretion.
- It is understood that users on the network may keep their own private logs of any channel. Snoonet requests that these logs not be made public unless consent has been given by the operators of the channel in question.