Can you give us a description of your community?
- Our community is founded on the discussion of heavy metal music and its related news and events. The IRC channel is more relaxed than the subreddit and non-metal related general discussion is encouraged. Homophobia and racism are not permitted in the channel or the subreddit.
What inspired this community?
What sets your community apart from others?
- We’ve had continuous activity for a number of years. We’re busy 24/7. And if nobody’s talking, there’s still someone idling waiting for conversation.
What is your goal with this community?
- Our IRC community has been running with a fairly consistent number of users for over three years, and is currently one of Snoonet’s most active chats. We would like to continue in a similar fashion but extend an invitation to new users.
What is your community (in)famous for?
- Our lawyers say we shouldn’t talk about it right now. But we’re pretty famous for our unimpeachable musical recommendations! Not a fan of metal? Come hang out for a while and you will be.
What is the most popular post of all time in the subreddit?
- Our top post of all time is a self-post discussion thread about the death of Slayer’s Jeff Hanneman from 2013.
- Way to be a downer, question guy. How about this also-popular post regarding a petition to allow Gwar to play the 2015 Super Bowl Halftime Show instead?
Do you have any favorite quotes or posts from your users?
- We have a bot that handles quotes for us. Let’s just say there’s a reason why /u/dustin_the_wind has 29 quotes stored on the bot.
- < sabytmobile_> Dunwich? < Dunwich> sabyt? < sabytmobile_> Hi < Dunwich> hi < grisher> hi <@Mike> hi <@Shreddit> hi < t_deg> hi < Jalkion> hi < Blasphemophagher> hi < jesusfucknugget> hi < quorthon> hi < grrrreg> hi
What do you hope your community gains from this subreddit?
- /r/metal is primarily a place to share and discuss music. There’s so much new music out there that we can’t possibly hope to have it all in one place, so it spills over to #metal. We’re also a great place to come for more in-depth recommendations. Whether you like grindcore, black metal, stoner, thrash, doom or any of the million other subgenres of metal, there’s someone in #metal who has devoted his or her life to being a pedant about it!
What have you learned from being a part of this community?
- Mike - I’ve been active in the IRC community since before I was on reddit. I’ve enjoyed recommendations in many subgenres of metal from veteran Shredditors and attended lots of gigs with members of the IRC channel, most notably flying to the USA for Maryland Deathfests 2014 and 2015. The channel’s users are always happy to talk music, nonsense or a combination of the two.
- banjax - There’s really no accounting for taste. That guy who loves black metal also has a secret soft spot in his heart for Elliott Smith.
Does your community have any traditions or special events?
- We don’t have any traditions as such, however many of the community’s members have met up for gigs and festivals. We have bots that can tell you when and where your favorite bands are playing, and will countdown the days to the major fests! We occasionally use programs such as plug.dj for social music listening or play video games over Steam.
Does your community have any associated social media or websites? (facebook/twitter/instagram/etc)
- We’re mostly linked through individual Last.fm accounts. Come visit our non-profit community outreach sister-subreddit /r/metaljerk and find out why It’s All Metal™!